Ferris State University’s Fine Art Gallery, Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning, and Office of Diversity and Inclusion invite you to participate in creating art for the upcoming Equity Within the Classroom Art Competition and Exhibit. A juried art competition and exhibit will coincide with the 2017 Equity Within the Classroom Conference. The art submitted for this competition will be on display in the Ferris State University Fine Art Gallery from March 13-31, 2017.
We invite art from faculty, staff, and students from Michigan’s 15 public universities and the private colleges that are members of the Equity Within the Classroom Conference consortium. This art competition and exhibit are designed to feature works that represent or depict the theme of the 2017 Conference, “Equity By Design.”
About “Equity By Design”
“Equity By Design” compels and challenges us to address the ways in which our social structures limit the growth and full expression of human potential and the human experience. In making a commitment to design for equity, we must intentionally transform our educational institutions and social landscape. We embrace the opportunities to identify barriers to equity, to implement solutions, celebrate our successes, and continue to learn, both individually and as a community.
Two awards will be announced:
1. One First Place Award will be selected by a panel of jurors. A $700 award will be provided to the artist(s) of the First Place Award.
2. One Public Choice Award will be selected by visitors to the gallery during the Equity Within the Classroom Conference. A $300 award will be provided to the artist(s) of the Public Choice Award.
Both Awards will be announced and a reception held for the artists during the 2017 Equity Within the Classroom Conference.
A digital image of the art and the Artist Statement and Submission Form must be received by Saturday, January 21, 2017. The file size of the digital image of the art must not exceed 2 megabytes.
Please complete the Artist Statement and Submission Form that is found below.
If entry requirements (see below) have been met, artists will be required to deliver their display-ready works to Ferris State University’s Fine Art Gallery by Friday, February 17, 2017. We will contact you to confirm this.
Who May Enter
This opportunity is open to any faculty, staff, or student from Michigan’s 15 public universities and the private colleges that are members of the Equity Within the Classroom Conference consortium.
● Any two-dimensional materials including drawing, photography, printmaking, painting, and mixed media.
● Dimensions limitations are based upon availability of exhibition space and storage. An individual art object’s depth of work is not to exceed 4 inches, and the maximum dimensions are not to exceed 3 feet wide or 5 feet high.
● Art objects consisting of multiple pieces must adhere to overall size limitations as outlined above.
Upon receipt of a digital image of the art and Artist Statement Form by Saturday, January 21, 2017:
- Jury Panel determines if the artist has met the entry requirements by Monday, January 30, 2017.
- Artists whose works meet the entry requirements will be contacted by e-mail to submit their work for the competition and exhibit. The works must arrive at Ferris State University’s Fine Art Gallery by Friday, February 17, 2017.
- First Place Award selected by Jury Panel. Winning artist(s) will be notified by e-mail or phone by Friday, March 3, 2017, and requested to attend the reception during the 2017 Equity Within the Classroom Conference.
- Public Choice Award will be selected by visitors to the gallery during the 2017 Equity Within the Classroom Conference and announced during the Conference.
The Artist Statement and Submission Form is below
For more information, please contact Ferris State University’s Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning at email@example.com or 231.591.3826.